Never take a cold and flu for granted. Suffering from these respiratory illnesses means severe discomfort, missed workdays, and unattended chores. In a 2018 study in Clinical Infectious Diseases of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 8% of Americans become infected with flu each season, ranging between 3% to 11% depending on the season. A Statistica survey has also shown that 64% of 18-30 years old contract colds that last from 7 to 10 days.
With these numbers, it is no wonder that one will search for ways to recover quickly or get sick. Intravenous or IV therapy makes its way as Americans turn to it. With this kind of treatment, essential nutrients, medications, and fluids go directly into the bloodstream. It allows the body to utilize them in a speedy recovery, cold and flu protection, and even immune system boost.
How Does IV Therapy Work?
IV therapy infuses fluids, medications, and nutrients right into the bloodstream. When relieving cold and flu symptoms, an IV bag will have antiemetics and electrolytes. It also contains powerful nutrient ingredients to ease cold and flu symptoms.
- Vitamin C – Years of study have shown that vitamin C is a vital nutrient and antioxidant to keep the body healthy and strong. Unfortunately, our body does not produce its vitamin C. Instead, we get our dose from the foods we consume. IV therapy supplies the recommended vitamin C our body needs to tackle cold and flu virus and infection, maintain blood vessels, bones, and muscles, ease iron absorption and help formulate collagen. Moreover, it gives the immune system the boost it needs to protect the body.
- Vitamin B Complex – This vitamin has eight vitamins working on reinforcing the immune system, keeping high energy levels, strengthening the cells, and creating new and healthy ones. Since the body cannot produce and store it like vitamin C, we acquire it from our food. In addition, they assist in synthesizing protein.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin is responsible for shielding the body against respiratory illnesses. Higher vitamin D levels keep the body from having common colds and flu.
- Magnesium – It is another crucial mineral that supports the activity of the immune system in producing antibodies. This mineral also enables cells to be more active in protecting themselves against viral attacks.
- Zinc – This mineral is also a go-to nutrient when dealing with colds and flu. It acts as a barrier that prevents the virus from infecting or lodging in the body. It impedes virus multiplication. Hence, this mineral lessens the duration of colds and flu to 50%.
- Glutathione – This antioxidant is a panacea. It prevents cold, and flu symptoms decrease oxidative stress, uplifts the bodyâ€™s defense systems, and knocks down viral, parasitic, and microbial attacks. It is an anti-inflammatory substance that lessens discomfort and congestion too.
These nutrients are present in the food or beverage we consume. With the help of IV therapy, one can reap 100% goodness of these nutrients as they bypass the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and goes directly into the patientâ€™s bloodstream. The infusion of these nutrients allows for a speedy recovery, reduced discomfort, and improved immune system.
What are the Benefits of IV Therapy?
There are many benefits of IV therapy when it comes to alleviating cold and flu symptoms. Even the nutrients it supplies the body produces incredible results. However, it is also a matter that most people will still opt for over-the-counter medications and water therapy. Therefore, these are benefits one can savor from undergoing the treatment.
- It rehydrates the body quickly and sufficiently.
Once we are down with cold and flu, our body loses fluids due to dehydration from fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. It is necessary to refill our body with enough fluids to prevent dehydration while recovering from the illnesses. IV therapy offers the required hydrating boost faster than usual means.
- It boosts energy.
Being sick and bedridden can leave a feeling of fatigue and weakness. With the chock-full of energy-boosting nutrients in an IV bag, one will experience feeling reinvigorated.
- It soothes cold and flu symptoms.
Colds and flu are bothersome and debilitating as they bring other symptoms such as headaches, body aches, nausea, and many more. IV therapy helps relieve these symptoms of pain and inflammation.
Remember that colds and flu can range from mild to severe. It is tedious to leave home to get treatment while sick in the long run. Mobile IV therapy makes it possible to bring the treatment right to oneâ€™s doorstep, whether at home or office. Moreover, we consider some individuals who cannot take OTC medications or prescribed oral antibiotics. They may have experienced the medication not working, or ingesting pills is impossible or difficult for them. IV therapy is the course of action they can take to get treated.